First, I have to mention Sabrinaflu: music along the course of the Severn and beyond. You might describe this site as the Cornish branch of Sabrinaflu.
And then the Cornwall/West Country links. (A work in progress…)
- Folk Life Quarterly (for which I’m currently the Shropshire correspondent) is primarily a print magazine but also has online resources including listings for much of the West Country, Wales and the West Midlands, linked from here. Lots of other interesting stuff, too.
- Mike Harding’s links page has a few links to events round here, though I can’t vouch for their currency.
- Folk and Acoustic Clubs and Venues in the South West
- What’s On Cornwall includes listings for folk, celtic, traditional, acoustic and much else (musical and non-musical, by which I mean sport, food etc, not rap – although…)
- English Folk Info includes lots of links for South West England, including (as well as individual clubs and sessions):
- Cornwall Clubs and Sessions
- Hobnobbin (Hobgoblin’s listings of events close to its Wadebridge shop)
- Open Mic Cornwall Facebook page
- The Open Mic People
- Folk and Roots
- Chris Rust’s Folk Map
- Acoustic Music South West England and Cornwall (Facebook page)
- Music in Falmouth
- Ian Semple’s Saturday lunchtime programme (12.00-14.00) for Penwith Radio:’Ian Semple brings you news, views and stories from the Penwith area with an eclectic selection of music.
As an active musician, Ian performs in various venues and brings you a taste of some of the local talent available. He also has features and interviews with people from all walks of life.’
Ian runs an excellent open mic at the Engine Inn in Cripplesease (see below) on the last Friday of the month, and the Wednesday evening folk session at the Western Hotel in St Ives (also listed below) which is also very good.
Radio Penwith also has a Facebook page and a day-by-day What’s On Diary.
Near Wheal Alice:
- Engine Inn, Cripplesease: last Friday of the month, open mic. 01736-740204. Acoustic session every Tuesday. ‘Sunday Shambles’ blues event on Sunday afternoon with Dr Dobro and guests. Other live music events. Facebook page here. Very friendly, both sides of the bar.
- Penzance Folk Club, Admiral Benbow, Chapel Street. (Went there on my last visit to Penzance: very good singaround session, looks as if they have good guests from time to time, too.) Alternate Wednesdays. Also some links to other clubs/sessions.
- Alexandra Inn, Alexandra Road, Penzance TR18 4LY. Open Mic every Tuesday 7.30-10.30. Performers get a free drink, apparently. I need to get to that one, then. 😀 Also rumoured to have Crazy Golf.
- Tinners Arms, Zennor. Live music every Thursday. Nice pub, but I haven’t been to the music night yet.
- Star Inn, St Just. Not been yet. Open mic every Thursday. Celtic music session every Monday. (NB, the events page doesn’t seem to have been updated for a while, so I’d suggest checking with the pub whether these events are still current.)
- Studio Bar, Penzance – had a couple of good nights there. Open mic on Tuesdays
- St Ives What’s On (sketchy on venue info)
- Union Inn, St Ives: Saturday open mic
- Western Hotel Kettle and Wink, St Ives. Haven’t tried it yet, but listed events include:
- Musicians unplugged (Monday)
- Acoustic session (Tuesday)
- Wednesday folk night
- Thursday Marmalade Mash jam session
- Friday Songwriters night
- Sunday jam sessions
- Queens Hotel St Ives
- Bird in Hand, Hayle (open mic): 2nd Friday of the month
- Monday night jam at the Fire Engine, Marazion
- Kings Arms, Paul: bluegrass jam every Tuesday; Home Made Music Show, first Friday
- St. Ives library: Poetry Circle – poetry for pleasure: 1st Friday, 1.30pm; St. Ives Poetry Workshop – 3rd Friday at 1.30pm.
More in due course.