Obviously, a work in process, and not always a high priority. I can’t guarantee that it will be up to date, either. Check with the venue before travelling.
There is a useful list of regular events at Open Mic Cornwall you might want to check, and lots more resources listed on the Useful music(-ish) links page here. I do flag events that grab my attention on the Wheal Alice Facebook page as they come up.
- Every Sunday
- Engine Inn, Cripplesease:
‘Sunday Shambles’ blues event on Sunday afternoon with Dr Dobro and guests. Pub’s Facebook page here. Good stuff, on the couple of occasions I’ve been there.Pub reopened in early April, but I’m not aware of the old sessions being revived at present. There does seem to be some live music though: see the Facebook page linked above for more info.
- Western Hotel Kettle and Wink, St Ives. Acoustic jam session. “Everyone welcome: play, sing or just listen.”
- Dreamer’s Folk Club, The Sportsman’s Arms, Four Lanes, Redruth, Cornwall, TR16 6LR. Regular open nights with occasional guest nights. (Guest nights seem to be once a month-ish.) 7.30 in the back room.
- Seems to be a new open mic (April 8th 2018) at The Old Success Inn at Sennen. Check with the venue!
- Engine Inn, Cripplesease:
- 1st Sunday
- Looe Acoustic Music Club – Looe Social Club (bottom bar), The Quay, West Looe 7pm-10pm
- 2nd Sunday
- 3rd Sunday
- Cornish Arms, Hayle: impromptu session of Celtic music, dance and song. Joy or Frank, 01736-754976 [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- 4th Sunday
- Last Sunday
- Alternate Sundays:
- Every Monday
- Star Inn, St Just. Celtic/Irish music session.
- Western Hotel Kettle and Wink, St Ives. Musicians unplugged.
- Fire Engine, Marazion: jam. [Link failed – unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- The Crown Session in Penzance, bottom of Bread St. 8:00 – 11:00pm, hosted by Alan Shepherd.Local Vocalz choir rehearsals. Confusingly, an article in Hayle Pump says they’re at Passmore Edwards Institute, Hayle, whereas the club listings says St Elwyn’s Church (contact number given there is 07950-585787). [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- Open Mic at the Rising Sun Inn, Calstock Road, Gunnislake, PL18 9BX. 01822-832201. Pub’s Facebook page is minimal and gives wrong postcode. [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- Jam sessions at The Old Ale House, Truro.
- Open Mic at the Famous Barrel, Penryn
- 1st Monday
- 2nd Monday
- 3rd Monday
- 4th Monday
- Last Monday
- Acoustic Club Upstairs at the Comrades Club Probus – I think this is the last Monday of each month, but not clear from the Facebook page. Looks fun, though.
- Every Tuesday
- Engine Inn, Cripplesease:
Acoustic session.I don’t think this is happening at present, but see the pub’s Facebook page here. to see what is going on there now.
- Alexandra Inn, Alexandra Road, Penzance TR18 4LY. Open Mic every Tuesday 7.30-10.30.
- Studio Bar, Penzance: open mic. Things start too late for me to get there (or rather to get home from there) now, but went to some excellent evenings there when I used to stay in Penzance from time to time. Some sort of music event every night, I believe.
- Western Hotel and Kettle and Wink, St Ives.
- St. Ives Jazz Club
- Sergeant Pepper’s Strawberry jam (“all the great songs from the 60s to noughties and beyond”)
- Kings Arms, Paul: bluegrass jam
- Folk sessions at the Falcon, Bude
- Folk on the Moor, Westward Inn, Lee Mill, PL21 9EE (Devon, near Ivybridge)
- Praze Hayle Choir: 7.30, Methodist Hall. Don Metcalf, 01736-757720
- Cadgwith: folk session and open mic
- Pirate Inn, Alverton, Penzance: Celtic, mostly tunes
Barley Jam Night [Broken link – Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]Tues 20:30 · The Barley Sheaf · Truro [Broken link – Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- Alexandra Inn, Penzance open mic
- Garland Ox jam/open mic, Bodmin
- Engine Inn, Cripplesease:
- 1st Tuesday
- 2nd Tuesday
- The St Tudy Inn is to host Spoken Word Evenings, formerly the Pendoggett Poetry Evening from 8pm on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, starting in March 2017. March 14th. According to Fiona Sullivan: “Emily is going to offer a Poets Pot Luck for £10 each month but needs to know how many are coming and how many are vegetarian. Please book in advance with on 01208 850 656.” St Tudy, Bodmin PL30 3NN [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- Songwriters Circle: Sonder Truro, 6 Princes Street, TR1 2ES Truro, Cornwall [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- 3rd Tuesday
- 4th Tuesday
- Last Tuesday
- Every Wednesday
- Western Hotel Kettle and Wink, St Ives. Folk night. ‘Acoustic music, song, and the spoken word’. Run by the indefatigable Ian Semple, who also does a great job of encouraging local talent on his Saturday radio show. (See below.)
- Vanilla Open Mic, 8pm till late, 1 Duke Street, Truro, 01872 242466.
- Hayle Guitar Club: Wednesday 7pm-9.30pm Passmore Edwards Institute, Hayle
- Whiskers open mic, Newquay
- Alternate Wednesdays:
- Penzance Folk Club, Very friendly group run on singaround lines. Also has guest nights. Bath Inn, Penzance
- 1st Wednesday
- 2nd Wednesday
- 3rd Wednesday
- 4th Wednesday
- Last Wednesday
- Every Thursday
- Open Mic at the Cornubia – Cornubia Inn, Fore Street, Hayle TR27 4DX. I haven’t been yet, but intend to give it a try.
- Tinners Arms, Zennor. Live music including, apparently, a Thursday folk session. Never been to it, but have enjoyed eating there several times in recent years. I can’t confirm that there are any events currently. [24/3/19]
- Star Inn, St Just. Open mic. I’ve never been, but hear good things.
- Western Hotel Kettle and Wink, St Ives. Marmalade Mash acoustic jam session
- St Ives Arts Club, Westcott Quay: Cafe Frug: ‘poets, storytellers, songwriters, musicians, jugglers.’ Of course, some songwriters also consider themselves to be musicians. 😉 ‘Bring your own wine.’
- Heyl St Piran Singers Ladies choir: Hayle Methodist Church Hall 7.30-9.30. Geraldine 01736-751710 or Ann 01736-752335 [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- Open mic/jam night: Red River Inn Gwithian. Events page mentions live music, but not an open mic. [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- Cornwall Songwriters Guild, St Austell – FB page seems to have disappeared [24/3/19]
- Copperhouse Inn, Heyl (Hayle) open mic – I haven’t checked the pub itself, but the FB page doesn’t seem to have been updated for a long time and there are no recent or upcoming events listed. [24/3/19]
- 1st Thursday
- 2nd Thursday
- Cornish Arms, Hayle: open mic. [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- 3rd Thursday
- 4th Thursday
- Cornish Arms, Hayle: open mic [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- Last Thursday
- Open Mic at Carpenters Arms, Callington
- Every Friday
- Western Hotel Kettle and Wink, St Ives. Songwriters night. (I really ought to try this.)
- Bodmin Folk Club: looks like a nice balance between open nights and guest nights. 8.15: Bodmin Band & Social Club, Honey Street, Bodmin PL31 2DL
- Cadgwith: Cadgwith singers (sea shanties by local fishermen)
- Open mic, Market Inn, Back Quay, Truro TR1 2LL. 01872 277214; firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Friday
- 2nd Friday
- Bird in Hand, Hayle. Open mic. Still seems to be happening as of March 2019.
- 3rd Friday
- St. Ives library: St. Ives Poetry Workshop – 3rd Friday at 1.30pm. [Unable to confirm current status: July 2017]
- 4th Friday
- The Singing Cellar, Turk’s Head, Chapel Street, Penzance. Run by the excellent harmony trio Baldrick’s Plan. [Actually, looking at the Facebook page today, it looks as if it’s on the 3rd Friday, not the 4th, though the About tab says the 4th. I’ve left a message asking for clarification.]
- Last Friday
- Every Saturday
- Union Inn, St Ives: open mic [Web page mentions lots of music currently, but not the open mic. I did hear that it’s still going, but check!]
- Western Hotel Kettle and Wink, St Ives: live music
- Ian Semple’s Saturday lunchtime programme (12.00-14.00) for Coast FM:’Ian Semple brings you news, views and stories from the Penwith area with an eclectic selection of music.
As an active musician, Ian performs in various venues and brings you a taste of some of the local talent available. He also has features and interviews with people from all walks of life.’
Ian runs an excellent open mic at the Engine Inn in Cripplesease (see above) on the last Friday of the month, and the equally good weekly Wednesday evening folk session at the Western Hotel in St Ives (also listed below).
Radio Penwith (now Coast FM) also has a Facebook page.
- 1st Saturday
- 2nd Saturday
- 3rd Saturday
- 4th Saturday
- Last Saturday